Sunday, September 05, 2004

What makes a Coalition?

How is it that Kerry and his followers can claim that Bush did not pursue and obtain a coalition in Iraq? Of all the times I've heard this claim, I've never felt it was well challenged. There are over 30 nations in the coalition, and they are disrespected every time some liberal acts as if they don't exist. I think Kerry's sensitive approach seems very insensitive and at risk for alienating our proven (and current) allies. Could someone please explain what I'm missing?

This is a sincere request. I'm not pretending that it wouldn't be better to have France Russia, and Germany (FRnG) with us. I wouldn't argue if people said that Bush didn't obtain the best possible coalition.

As far as that goes, what would it take to get them on our side? I think FRnG have as much to gain in the war against terrorism as those in the coalition. So if that is not compelling to them, than what would it take to buy their support? What will Kerry give them in exchange for the lives of the soldiers they would send?

Whatever it is, it would have to be of great value. But I digress. What I want to know is this: Why is the coalition inadequate? Why is a coalition not a coalition w/o FRnG? What if RnG joined us, but not F?

2 comments:

Late Bloomer said...

I just heard Andre Heinz (son of Theresa Heinz-Kerry) answer my question about coalitions. He said we need the intelligence they could share. But he didn't mention that we already get intelligence from them now. Furthermore, he still did not acknowlege the members of the existing coalition.

Endymion said...

This may be an end run around the question but:

The demmand for a coalition is disingenuous. What they mean is that America should not act unless authorized to do so by the world government. "What world government?" you may ask. Well, there isn't one. That is what they are trying to establish by precedent and by Kyoto and the International Criminal Court and so on.

I think that there is too a stong sense of affiliation between American Liberals and Leftists around the world. Leftist France therefore is very important to Liberals. That my add to the desire for France to be on board.

Finally, America can not really use foreign forces during combat. We can, and probably should, use them during reconstruction type efforts.