Wednesday, December 22, 2004

A Vote for Bush was a Vote for Morality

My father gave me quite a shock last weekend when he unabashedly admitted over dinner that he had voted for Bush this election. Shocking, because both he and my mother stayed unified in their disdain for Bush and "his" war all during the election. Because of this, Kerry would be getting their votes on Nov. 2nd.

Why, then, did he vote Bush? The abortion issue. When it came down to it, he could not in good conscience vote a "pro-choice" official into office. My mother still voted for Kerry. Dad, a Catholic since 1997(I think). Mom, a Catholic since the day she was baptised ( a long time ago). I couldn't be prouder of my dad for not putting his religion to the side because it didn't suit his political beliefs.

1 comment:

Endymion said...

Kudos Dad! I, like Laurin (and obviously my father) consider the protection of children the highest moral calling. If you think the doling out of human rights is a matter of personal beliefs; if you think it's a matter in which you should not enforce your beliefs, you should consider that the unborn are not the first humans in history to be labeled as not having "personhood".It's been an expedient tool for persecution through the ages.
Late Bloomer | 12.23.04 - 2:28 pm |