Sunday, April 17, 2005

John Bolton's Bedside Manner

Imagine you're quite ill, and you need to choose a physician. When the shit hits the fan, and your life is on the line, what are the criteria you would use?

Would you eliminate an M.D. from your list if he said uncomplimentary things about the hospital administration or other doctors? What if yelled at nurses, or intimidated them? What if he occaisionally insulted patients or hurt their feelings?

I can tell you I have worked closely with three doctors who've done all those things, and they're the best three doctors I've ever worked with. When I had a patient in crisis, they're the doctors I wanted around.

I don't like their nasty attitudes, but these three doctors can be depended upon to get the job done, and do it well. I believe they save people where other doctors would have failed. But if their presence depended upon their popularity with the nurses, they might have a hard time finding work.

Now, a good bed side manner is important and helpful, but it's not the end all. In the end, you want to be healthy. You want to live.

It's the same with John Bolton.

No comments: