Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Big Fun at the Polls

Yesterday, for the first time, I searved as a poll official in the Knox county elections.

In the week leading up to the election, I had begun to regret my promise to fill in as a voter registrar for my neighbor who normally does the job. I felt a little weighted by the imagined tedium of a redundant task that would go on for thirteen hours. I felt a little anxious at the propsect of assisting belligerantly passionate voters, fired up by their civic calling to get the right guy in or the wrong guy out.

The reality of it is that it was fun. It was nice. I really enjoyed meeting all the people. Thanks to two new friends who taught me to play Sodoku, the tedium of slow times was never an issue.The precinct I worked is the largest in Tennessee, I was told by the experienced officials there. Some of the voters were very pleasant. Some were very brusque, with no desire to be social (would a smile have been out of the question?)

Some volunteered their grievance with this candidate or that. Regardless of their political axe, I just smiled quietly. Because of my physical appearance, my style of hair and dress, many people mistake my political affilliation. I think that frees some people up to say things they might not if they knew I was a conservative. I'll just leave it at that.

Regardless of their party, or lack there of, I was proud of voters and their commitment to their civic duty.

The other election officials were great. I was impressed greatly by their commitment to fair and honest procedure. Their behavior was impeccable.

Special thanks to June, for getting me involved, and to Gail and Deloris, for taking me under their wings.

No comments: