Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Uncommon Language OR How to Get Rid of Idiots

Some Conservatives reject the tactics of Ann Coulter, some embrace them, including us. AnalPhilosopher says
Ann Coulter's style and demeanor leave much to be desired. She is a graduate of one of our nation's best law schools (The University of Michigan) and she is obviously intelligent, but she comes across as a sarcastic, giggling teenager on television. She can't make a serious point. Her comments are snide, rude, and condescending. This gives conservatives a bad name. Stop it, Ann. Grow up. You're hurting your (our) cause.

I respect that assessment and it may be correct, but note also this piece of Uncommon Sense:
Uncommon Sense: Tried by Fire: "Notwithstanding, due either to ignorance or persistence, these guys [attorneys who had the misfortune of debating "Taxation is Theft"] just wouldn’t quit. What eventually made them back out was, simply, ad hominem attack. And believe me, it was not for lack of being able to shred an undisciplined ad hominem. It was because the risk of being wrong was brought to a head through the use of tough language.

So, what I’m getting down to is that some of us use the harsh language we do because we’re so sure of our arguments in certain areas, and part of that is just pushing away those who don’t have a serious argument to offer. What we risk is being wrong. You see, no matter how many 'fucking-idiot' admonitions we invoke, we know, because of what we know, that anyone who knows better is damn sure going to shove it down our throats if we’re off base. It’s happened, but it’s rare.
Amen brother. Civility in debate only works with civil interlocutors. When confronted with people who refuse to accept logic and reality, you don't really have much else to offer besides the verbal smack-down.

As for Ann, I have heard her make good points many times and then have to sit there (or not) while some dim-wit talks nonsense and makes crazed accusations. I don't see the value in treating these idiots as if they were worthy.

As my new Uncommon Friend said, "if you'’ve got it, bring it on. If you feel intimidated, it’s likely that you don’t have it, you’ll shut up (as you should), and we’ll get on with other things."

2 comments:

Endymion said...

Beth of MY VRWC said:
Hey, you should send trackbacks all over the blogosphere. I'm glad you sent one my way today so I'd get on over here! You've got a GREAT blog! I will definitely be back, and I'll send some links your way, for what it's worth with my twelve readers!
Beth | Homepage | 03.09.05 - 3:19 am |

Late Bloomer said...

"Gigling teenager"? Maby moody or bitchy teenager, but not giggly. Ann Coulter is right not to pull punches. I don't know how many times I've seen civility mistaken for weakness in this "Springer" culture in which we live. I've experienced this in my own arguments all too often. Furthermore, she's entertaining, and easy to read. When I first began to read political commentary, she made it easy to understand, plus she held my attention.