Sunday, March 20, 2005

Where Have All The Feminists Gone

Since when did the Democrats become the defenders of a husband's right to speak for his wife? All of a sudden the left is acting as if the husband/wife relationship is sacrosanct.

Is it the Left's position that when a woman can't speak for herself, her husband receives unquestioned control over her very life and death.

If what happened to Terri Schiavo had happened to me in my first marriage, I can tell you, it would've been a disaster!

My ex-husband and I had very different ideas regarding what constitutes an acceptable quality of life. But he probably didn't even know it, because he bullied me into "agreeing" with him on a number of issues. When I disagreed with him on anything, I carried it privately within my heart.

He considered quadriplegia to be an unacceptable way to live. I don't. Of course, if I'd become a quadriplegic, I'd have been able to speak for myself. But Terri can't speak, and I'm not convinced that in Terri's condition, I'd want to die. My ex would have sentenced me to death. There is no doubt in my mind.

I was an abused wife. It wasn't easy for me to escape my marriage, but a lot easier for me than most. When I reflect on that time, I feel great relief that that man no longer determines my future. I'm thankful to the women of the past who paved the way for my escape.

So why are today's feminists satisfied with Terri's defense? Why does her fate rest in the hands of two men? (Greer and M. Schiavo) Providing Terri (and by extension, all of us) with an appeal to the federal courts is not contrary to states rights or family rights. Denying her appeal is to take her husband's word without question. What century is this?


P.S. This is why I'm a conservative. As a conservative, I can simply ask if a person's civil rights have been protected, and take action based on my conclusion. I don't have to approach it from a pro-life or right-to-die or anti-medicaid or pro-medicaid or feminist or chauvinist position.

1 comment:

Late Bloomer said...

Whoops! Townhall and I showed
up to the party in the same dress. Their homepage for today shows this headline: "Where Have All The Good Judges Gone?" I swear Townhall, I didn't call your mom.